Monterey Garden Insect Spray contains Spinosad, which is derived through fermentation of a naturally-occurring soil bacterium. Spinosad controls caterpillars, thrips, codling moth, leafminers, borers, fruit flies, fire ants, and more! Spinosad works on the insect’s nervous system, causing paralysis and then death in 1-2 days. Since the insects are paralyzed, they may stay on the plants and be mistaken for live insects; always check for Spinosad’s effect 2-3 days after spraying to evaluate control in the insect population.
OMRI listed Monterey Garden Insect Spray is safe to use with the following beneficial insects: minute pirate bug, ladybird beetles (lady bugs), green lacewing, and mite predators. However, it is toxic to bees; for this reason, applications should be made in the late evening and on plants that are not blooming, pollen-shedding, or nectar-producing.
- Insects: This product will control pests such as: adelgids (woolly aphids), ants (excluding fire ants, harvester ants, Pharaoh’s ants and carpenter ants), aphids, armyworms, beetles (including Colorado potato beetle), borers, caterpillars, chinch bugs, codling moth, earwigs, fruit flies (including spotted wing Drosophila), gypsy moth, lace bugs, leafhoppers, leafminers, leafrollers, loopers, mealybugs, mites, mole crickets, plant bugs, psyllids, sawfly larvae (e.g. pear and rose slugs), scale insects, spider mites, tent caterpillars, thrips, webworms, weevils (including black vine weevil), and whiteflies.
- Powdery Mildew: This product provides curative control of powdery mildew.
- Vegetables, including: artichokes (globe), asparagus, beans, beets, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cantaloupe, carrots, cauliflower, corn, cucumbers, eggplants, garlic, lettuce, onions, peas, peppers, potatoes, radishes, rutabagas, spinach, squash, Swiss chard, tomatoes and turnips
- Fruits, including: apples, avocados, apricots, cherries, grapes, melons, peaches, plums, citrus, pears
- Berries, including strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, boysenberries, loganberries, raspberries
- Herbs, including: angelica, balm, basil, borage, burnet, chamomile, catnip, chervil (dried), chive, clary, coriander, costmary, cilantro, curry, dillweed, horehound, hyssop, lavender, lemongrass, lovage, marigold, marjoram, mint, nasturtium, parsley, pennyroyal, rosemary, rue, sage, savory, sweet bay, tansy, tarragon, thyme, wintergreen, woodruff and wormwood
- Peanuts, Pistachios, Tree Nuts, including: almond, cashew, chestnut, filbert, macadamia nut, pecan, walnut
- Outdoor Ornamentals
- Greenhouses (Non-Commercial)
- Outdoor Container Grown Plants